Thursday, May 6, 2010

Haiti after a week

After spending one week on the streets of Port-au-Prince and Leogane, there isn’t enough words to describe the situation although it is three months now since the disaster happened. In order to have a better understanding urgency existing in the Haiti, I decided to take a walk around the city. Mostly, I could not believe that so many places that I use to know do not exist anymore. Besides, due to the condition of the road, it is extremely difficult to get around the city. It can take two to three hours just to travel one two miles. But if you the art of driving in Haiti, it can be a lot faster. As I walked down the street where my dear friend Luc died, I became to realize how tragic was January 12 for the population. I understand how hard it is for people who hard to be in Haiti during tragedy.

I decided to visit with some families who lost everything on January the 12 disaster. I scarcely can believe where the courage to smile comes from. As I was visited with Luc’s family, I had to be strong and hiding my tears from them. However, it was so sad to hear them telling how they slept when the rain came. Can you imagine a six-year old boy standing on corner of some piece of metal waiting for long hours before to be able to sleep at 11 in the evening? Not more than one hour after I left it started to rain. The worst part is the landlord asking them to move out of the property. Four people living in a space smaller than the kitchen they used to own is not fun at all. Unfortunately, this is the new way of live on the streets of Port-au-Prince: eat whatever you can find, drink whatever is giving, sleep wherever you find, and smile to as much as people you meet. However, we are so thrilled to be here between those humble people.

No comments:

Post a Comment