Friday, January 30, 2009

Clustering your server!

This week in my Windows 2008 Server class, I had the assignment to create a share folder with a quota. But while restarting my server, it crashed and had to be reinstalled.So, I couldn't finish my task.
I wonder if I were a network administrator how I could avoid getting fired for that. Then I thought I about the figure in the 4th page of the book "Hands-On Microsoft Windows Server 2008" by Micheal Palmer, ISBN: 9781423902384, the figure is about CLUSTERING SERVER. I then immediately realized how beautiful and relaxing is it to cluster my network.
In fact, the Microsoft Cluster Server (MSCS)is a software included in the Windows Server Enterprise that will allow you to connect two servers together, as you can see in the figure. That will the second one to take over instantly in case of a failure on Server one. This process calls FAILOVER.

In order for the standby server to take over, it has to know when the main server is down. The standby Server must synchronize its state with the state of the failed server. There are basically three different approaches to synchronization:
1- Transaction log which is a periodic update of the standby with the active server.
2- Hot standby is a copy immediate of the active server before the crash by the standby one.
3- Shared storage is when both servers are active at the same time in the same database.
Either one of those three methods will allow your standby server to be backing up automatically a crash is occur.
I hope this post will bring new idea to you about how to avoid your system entirely down.

No comments:

Post a Comment